With summer here, keeping skin healthy, radiant and well protected from the aging effects of sun exposure calls for a little extra care. Spa owner, Gunilla Eisenberg, shares these all-natural beauty tips for keeping your glow on.
- Moisturize First- Before applying sunscreen, moisturize your skin daily with a face lotion, serum or facial oil that provides adequate moisture in the skin. Dehydration is one of the biggest causes of premature aging and wrinkles. Look for natural ingredients such as rose, lavender, aloe vera and chamomile that have hydrating and soothing effects on the skin, especially important following sun exposure.
- Cleanse Well-While sun protection is a year-round must to prevent premature aging and sun damage, repeated applications of sunscreen at the beach or out of doors call for extra through cleansing to prevent clogged pores and breakouts. Use a washcloth to remove facial cleanser to avoid leaving any residue on the skin and help maintain a clear complexion.
- Exfoliate Weekly-To combat the dryness and build-up of dead cells on the skin that can result from wearing sunscreen or being exposed to summer sun, using a physical exfoliator at least 1 or 2 times per week allows your moisturizer to absorb better and ensures healthy glowing skin. Formulations with larger granules and deep cleansing properties are good for oily skin, while dry skin benefits from more gentle blends containing jojoba beads or similar small granules. [Tweet “Using a physical exfoliator at least 1 or 2 times per week allows your moisturizer to absorb better and ensures healthy glowing skin. @gunillaspa”]
- Stock up on Sunblock -As important as it is to protect skin against harmful UVA/UVB rays, it’s just as important to choose your sunscreen wisely to avoid “villain” ingredients that can cause skin irritation or adverse effects on health. One safe solution is to use a sunblock containing Zinc or Titanium Dioxide. Because they’re mineral-based, they provide a physical UV barrier and deflect the rays directly away from the skin. Since you’ll need to reapply sunscreen throughout an active outdoor day, look for an SPF 15 – SPF 20. Lower SPFs are less irritating.
- Drink Water-Water is essential to beautiful skin and summer heat means you’ll need more. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep skin hydrated from the inside out. To counteract the drying effects of every glass of wine, cup of tea or coffee, drink at least 1-2 glasses of water. Your skin will thank you. [Tweet “Water is essential to beautiful skin and summer heat means you’ll need more. @gunillaspa”]
Receive 15% OFF of your first treatment at Gunilla Skin Alchemy in San Francisco when you mention “Spa Heroes” at the time of your booking.
[Tweet “Receive 15% OFF of your first treatment from @gunillaspa in San Francisco when you mention “Spa Heroes”]