Our Beauty Product Ingredient Standard
Our Beauty Product Ingredient Standard is the foundation of Beauty Heroes. We believe that healthy, non-toxic formulas should be a given when it comes to beauty. But until it is, our Beauty Product Ingredient Standard ensures that our curated product selections follow the most stringent standard in beauty. In fact, they are so much more than toxin-free. They are good for you, effective and deliver the experience of true luxury that only nature can offer.
Ingredient Integrity is Everything
We go over and above when vetting each of our products to ensure that our beauty product selections never contain:
- Ingredients banned in United States (a mere 11 individual chemicals)
- Ingredients banned in the European Union (an admirable 1,328 chemicals)
- Ingredients banned in Canada* (over 500 chemicals)
- Ingredients banned in Japan
- Ingredients that have gone under the process of ethoxylation which would put them at risk for contamination with 1,4 Dioxane, a known carcinogen. This includes phenoxyethanol and polyethylene glycols (listed as PEG’s for short on ingredient lists)
- Parabens. Since they aren’t banned for use in cosmetics the U.S., EU, Canada or Japan, parabens are still commonly used as an inexpensive preservative system. While preservatives are important for some products, there are much safer, better researched effective preservative systems.
- Synthetic Fragrances. In order to avoid the fragrance loophole, we don’t work with products that list fragrance as an ingredient without disclosing the individual components of that fragrance.
- Any of the 20 most common and most harmful ingredients in cosmetics listed on our Villain Ingredient List.
- Ingredients that were tested on animals. In general, natural beauty brands don’t use ingredients you would ever consider testing on animals. But to be sure, each brand we work with certifies that not only are their products never tested, but the ingredients they source have never been subject to animal testing, either.
- Ingredients that have been genetically modified. We ask each brand to certify that the ingredients that they source are free from GMO’s.
It Comes Down to Trust
The products we select are formulated with the highest quality, mostly natural, organic, biodynamic and wild-harvested ingredients that have been ethically sourced by companies who care about your health and the health of our planet. The brands we work with are some of the most selective in the beauty industry with the highest standards for ingredient quality and integrity. We work closely with the founder of each brand to understand how they source ingredients. You will always find a detailed list of ingredients on each product page along with a seal noting that the product is cruelty-free, GMO-free and, when applicable, vegan and gluten-free. In addition, we like to highlight the healthy Superpower ingredients in each of our selections, so you know what you’re putting on your skin, and the benefits you can expect.
If you have a question about our ingredient standard, please don’t hesitate to ask us at [email protected].
Thanks for trusting us to deliver healthy beauty, Hero On!
You can find more Ingredient Intel on our Blog.